Monday, March 10, 2014

Family Values

Too bad the far right has hijacked the term "family values". I've thought about our family a lot over the last couple of days. As always, I remember the frequent claim of my high school chemistry teacher, Sylvio Guindon: "when you get married, you marry the whole family".

Yesterday evening, John and I were reminiscing about the early years after his dad and I were married in 1983. He and Mary were still teenagers at the time, and it was challenging for all of us to get used to the new dynamics of our "blended" family. There was adaptation for all parties: new wife for Bob, new adult in the house for John and Mary, new everything for me (unemployed with a new husband, instant family, foreign country, unfamiliar culture).

We've all done well nurturing our relationships and are proud of the family we all had a hand in creating -- Bob, his first wife, their children and spouses or partners, our son Chris, the grandchildren and great grandchildren. Our family may not be strictly "traditional" but our family values are intact, healthy and love affirming.

So happy we have family visitors during our Florida vacation!