Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Indian Rocks Beach Nature Preserve

Indian Rock Beach Nature Preserve
I seek out new nature preserves wherever we go, and have been to many in Florida. They're all different, some good, some less so. My favorite after all these years is still Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge, where I saw my first roseate spoonbill. I was able to identify it using a bird identifier I bought at the gift shop, and was so thrilled with the sighting that I secretly and tentatively headed down the birder path.

Indian Rocks Beach Nature Preserve intrigued me because of its boardwalk extending all the way from Gulf Boulevard to Boca Ciega Bay. I was promised a wide variety of wildlife, including green herons and manatees, so I was imagining many new photo ops.


This little northern cardinal sang a familiar spring song
We would have missed the turn-off if Bob hadn't spotted it with his keen eye. While the spectacular sightings I had hoped for didn't materialize, we loved the serene setting and the beautifully constructed boardwalk. The old wood structure seems to be undergoing replacement with a man-made product, which is easy and "springy" to walk on.

We stopped to look at a blue crab that seemed to be scarfing down little minnows and saw a northern cardinal, but that was about it. We sat quietly for awhile by Boca Ciega Bay and lazily made our way back to our vehicle. We are both quite urban, so leaves brushing against our legs made us jump a little, as did walking under the canopy of hanging branches. I couldn't help imagining tree snakes.

We met only a few others on the boardwalk, including a man and his elderly mother. The park is a restorative oasis in the very busy Pinellas county.