Thursday, March 13, 2014

"Cold" Florida Day

I love a cold day in a warm climate.This is the kind of weather I really appreciated in my lifeguard days, now so far in the past that I wonder why I still feel like a teenager around any swimming area. Only diehard water lovers show up to swim -- easy watching for lifeguard staff.

At the Temiscaming waterfront,  "insiders" gathered in the lifeguard shack and played cards. The 6-8 evening shift, busy on a hot day, was often totally free, giving us the opportunity to swim ourselves.

The pool and hot tub were empty this morning after the 8:00 a.m. lap swimmers, an older couple who hit the pool early every day, had left the deck. Steam was rising from the water -- perhaps 88F or so -- and I felt enveloped by warmth as I stepped in from the 50F chill.

Another perfect day.