Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pope Francis' First Year

Today is the first anniversary of Pope Francis'  pontificate. The Catholic News Service is all business in this story, but I rather like the secular press' memorable moments, including this item in the Huffington Post.

My own first reaction to the first Jesuit pope was that we would have yet another intellectual rattling off principles of canon law and Church doctrine. So happy I was wrong! I love the way Francis surprises us with his spontaneity and ability to reduce complex issues to language all of us can understand.

The pope's challenges to prosperous westerners make me feel a little guilty and uncomfortable, but I do appreciate his pope's energy, honesty and connection with people. And I love his anniversary tweet,"please pray for me".